SMT is a globally integrated leader in mechanical transmission engineering services and software development. Over the past 15 years SMT has grown from a collective of experienced and passionate engineers into an international enterprise serving all sectors of the transmission and driveline development industry. SMT is split between the development and sale of the MASTA CAE software and the utilisation of that software and other tools to complete transmission and driveline consultancy projects.
You are applying for the position of Graduate Research Scientist within the Research department of SMT. We support both the software and engineering services departments. The job will be a great opportunity to learn and contribute over a wide range of technologies and applications.
Outline of role
Graduate or recent graduate position to work directly with SMT’s Research department including Dr Owen Harris, Research Director. It is a good team, working well together, on a range of interesting technical challenges contributing directly to SMT’s business.
Strong science background and integrity, degree or PhD in applied maths, physics or engineering. Alternatively, a good position for a strong mechanical (automotive) engineering graduate to enter SMT. To be trained up by, and work within, SMT’s world renowned research team.
- The role will be based at the Nottingham Headquarters, UK with occasional work on site at client offices expected and to overseas client sites possible.
- Reporting directly to the Research Director & Senior Research Engineer
- Direct involvement in research and development on new analysis & simulation technologies, new applications of existing in-house or commercial CAE & simulation tools and physical testing
- Evaluation, to adoption, of new commercial CAE & simulation tools.
- High level technical support of SMT engineering services projects
- See SMT’s website for existing tools and application areas.
- Likely to use some or all SMT’s MASTA, DRIVA & MEASA software, commercial CAE & CAD software, Matlab, Excel
- Research quality internal report generation
- Sales and marketing support via technical case studies, attending conferences, publishing papers
- Good team working
- Self-motivated to drive own research projects.
- Closely supporting highly experienced research staff in their day-to-day research.
- Running research projects from start to finish, project plan to final report. Initially of small scope.
- Knowledge transfer to the engineering and software departments.
- Degree educated with a final qualification of a strong 2:1 or higher in a numerical science degree. Master or PhD preferable.