SMT is a globally integrated leader in mechanical transmission engineering services and software development. Over the past 16 years SMT has grown from a collective of experienced and passionate engineers into an international enterprise serving all sectors of the transmission and driveline development industry. SMT is split between the development and sale of the MASTA CAE software and the utilisation of that software and other tools to complete transmission and driveline consultancy projects.
All applicants must already be eligible to work in the UK.
Full time, Based in our Head Office in Nottingham
Outline of role
This is a great opportunity for an ambitious and talented Electric Motor Control Systems Engineer to work for an engineering consultancy specialising in the design, analysis, development and control of transmission systems and future drivelines.
As Senior Motor Controls Engineer you will contribute to the specification, design, control, development, test and benchmarking of electric machine drives and control systems, predominantly in the field of automotive powertrain electrification. Your responsibility and expertise will focus on the control.
- Be part of a team specialising in the specification, design, control, development, test and benchmarking of electric machine control systems and drives.
- Support the definition of system architectures and technical solutions to meet client requirements.
- Technical interfacing with internal and client teams and management of client projects using internal and external resources to deliver a high standard within time and cost constraints.
- Interpretation of system requirements to generate detailed formal specifications.
- Conceptual and detailed design from first principals of control system hardware and software as applied to permanent magnet, reluctance and induction machine types for various application, including PHEV/BEV/FCEV.
- Support dynamic simulation of electric drive systems including performance, losses etc.
- Support build and testing of prototype electric machine control systems.
- Support progressing designs from ideas to prototypes with the development of detailed models and supporting engineering documentation, through prototype build, testing and validation.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of new technology and recent developments and trends in the research and academic arena related to motion control technologies.
- Research in to novel high-performance motor control algorithms.
Candidates will have prior experience of designing and developing control systems and inverters for a range of electric machine types, preferably gained in the automotive or aerospace sectors.
Skills and Attributes
- A degree (2:1 or above) or PhD in electric drives and controls, or equivalent and relevant industry experience (min 3 years), electrical engineering or a related subject.
- In-depth understanding and experience in designing and developing high performance AC electrical machine drives, typically including permanent magnet, SRM and induction machines.
- Detailed knowledge of motor control strategy, fundamentals of vector & flux motor control theory & techniques etc.
- Proven track record developing traction motor control algorithms using model-based design, e.g. Matlab/Simulink/TargetLink, including SIL, MIL & HIL simulation.
- Proven experience of designing control algorithm in Matlab/Simulink for implementation onto FPGA hardware or microcontrollers.
- Understanding of interfaces to common EV subsystems, e.g. battery management, HVAC etc.
- Practical and laboratory skills with confidence in the testing of motors and drives
- Proven experience of functional safety requirements, i.e. ISO26262, and software interfacing e.g. AUTOSAR.
- Experience with developing advanced motor control strategies, e.g. sensorless control.
- Ability to interface with clients and suppliers with a positive, inquisitive and value adding approach.
23 days + 8 annual leave
Pension matching scheme